Tossing and turning in bed with a racing mind before finally falling asleep is not fun. I’m the type of person that needs at least 7 hours of sleep a night in order to operate at my highest potential. Because I really value my precious sleep, I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite natural remedies for better sleep. For those of you with an anxious mind, nerves, stress, or restlessness before bedtime try to work some of these practices into your bedtime routine and you’ll be sleeping like a babe in no time!
The purpose of this blog post is not to offer any medical advice, but rather inform you of the many natural sleeping aids available.
1. Earthing- Earthing is the process of absorbing Earth’s energy from it’s surface through direct skin contact with the human body. Today it’s more and more common to be completely disconnected from our Earth because of our busy schedules. We forget to take some time to connect with nature. Studies have shown that Earthing can increase the release of melatonin in the body, an important hormone that induces sleep. How to practice Earthing? Go outside, kick off your shoes, and take some time to walk around barefoot feeling the Earth beneath your feet. By reconnecting yourself to the Earth beneath you, you’re allowing your body to release stress and return to calmness allowing you to sleep better. Read more here.
2. Disconnect from all electronics before bedtime – I did this for lent last year and I’m doing it again this year. Watching the news, checking emails, or social media can stimulate your mind affecting your circadian rhythm and blocking the release of melatonin in the body. This is due in large part to the artificial blue light emitted by these devices. Having a digital curfew an hour or two before going to bed really helps clear and relax the mind.
3. A regular workout routine- Exercise has been linked with decreasing stimulation, anxiety, stress, and depression. Having a regular exercise routine can have strong effects on reducing these symptoms helping you sleep better at night.
4. Moon Milk- Moon Milk originates from the Ayurveda holistic diet, a centuries old healing practice. Moon milk consists of warm milk with nutmeg, cinnamon, Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng) turmeric, and honey. All natural ingredients with anti-inflammatory/ antioxidant properties to calm and relax the body. Check your local health food store to see if they carry it or try making your own!
5. Tea- What’s better than a soothing calming tea before bed? I prefer these: Chamomile tea, Lavender tea, or passionflower tea.
6. Meditation- Meditating before bed has helped me fall asleep much easier. Having a regular practice that calms the mind and relaxes your state of being can really help your mind stop racing as well as reduce anxiety and stress.
7. Reading- Reading a good book in bed helps me take my mind off of all of the other things going on in my life. I transport myself to that time and place in my book. Reading can calm your anxieties and nerves because it helps you be more present and mindful in the moment helping us ease into bedtime.
8. Essential Oils- These extracted and distilled liquids from leaves have a strong effect on our brains. Scientists have studied the effects aromatherapy has on our bodies and how it may be responsible for activating certain parts of the brain that control the nervous system. Rub a drop or two on your temples, wrists, and under your nose. My favorites before bed: Lavender, Ylang Ylang, or Chamomile.
If you have difficulty sleeping and not able to slow the mind down before bed, I encourage you to add some of these tips into your bedtime routine and see which ones might help you most fall asleep!
Happy sleeping & sweet dreams! 🌙